Working at Height Safety News Update

December 06, 2013 0 Comment(s) Safety Working at Height,

Poole Worker Seriously Injured in Warehouse Roof Fall

Six meter fall, with no edge protection, safety netting or any other measure in place at the site to stop Mr White falling, could have been fatal...Two men have been fined after a worker suffered serious injuries when he fell through a fragile warehouse roof in Poole.Bradley White suffered four broken bones in the bottom of his back, a broken hip and pelvis, a shattered femur, four fractures to his left arm, a fractured right wrist and ligament damage. He was in hospital for three weeks and has had to undergo numerous operations.The 27-year-old had been employed by Michael Davies to replace the roof on a large industrial unit at W & S Recycling on Nuffield Industrial Estate in Poole, which is owned and occupied by Geoff Thompson.Mr Davies and Mr Thompson were both prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after an investigation found they had failed to make sure the work could be carried out safely.Bournemouth Magistrates’ Court heard today (29 November) that Mr White had been walking on the fragile cement roof on 27 March 2012 when his foot went through one of the fragile sheets. He landed on the concrete floor about six metres below.HSE’s investigation found there was no edge protection, safety netting or any other measure in place at the site to stop Mr White falling or to prevent him from being injured.Michael Davies, of Kingston Road in Poole, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 by failing to ensure workers were not put a risk. He was fined £2,500 and ordered to pay costs of £2,000.Geoff Thompson, who trades as W & S Recycling, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 9 of the Construction Design and Management Regulations 2007 by failing to ensure the arrangements made for managing the project  were suitable. Mr Thompson, of Nuffield Road in Poole, was fined £1,500 and ordered to pay costs of £5,000.Speaking after the hearing, HSE Inspector James Powell said:“The dangers of working at height are well known, yet workers undertaking roof work and building maintenance sometimes die or are permanently disabled because of the poor safety standards and lack of safeguards that still exist among some contractors.“It is essential that the hazards associated with working at height are recognised and understood by the client who commissions the work. The client must make sure the individual or company they employ is competent to carry out roof work and is aware of the hazards and precautions that need to be taken for the work to be carried out safely.“Geoff Thompson did not properly asses Mr Davies’ arrangements for health and safety and determine whether he would be able to do the work safely and without risk.“This prosecution should serve as a reminder to all involved in construction projects, including clients, that they have a legal duty to ensure work at height is properly planned and robust safety precautions are put in place.”

Roofer fined after photo shows unsafe work

Lucky to get away with a £2000 fine perhaps given serious lack of safety equipment...Picture of a north west london home with roof workers in potential danger from fallingA roofer has been fined for putting workers in danger after they were photographed on top of a North West London home without any protection against falling.At least two men working for Amarjeet Singh, 35, from Southall, were spotted by a passing council official as they worked on the property in Lucas Avenue, Harrow, on 26 October 2012. There was no sign of any measures in place to prevent the workers, materials or equipment from falling from height.Photographic evidence was supplied to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which investigated and prosecuted the roofer for disregarding the safety of himself and others.Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard yesterday (4 December) he was undertaking the work through his company V S Multani Roofing Contractor, a company that had previously received enforcement action for breaches of safety law covering work at height.The photos showed that despite HSE’s safety warning Mr Singh had ignored legal requirements, because no safety provisions were in place to prevent or mitigate a fall.Amarjeet Singh, of Kings Arbour, Southall, was fined a total of £2,000 and ordered to pay £688 in costs after pleading guilty to two separate breaches of the Work at Height Regulations 2005.After the hearing HSE Inspector Jack Wilby said:“Working at height on a roof without adequate means to prevent persons, materials or equipment from falling is simply unacceptable.“The consequences of such a fall can be life changing and potentially fatal, and there is no excuse for compromising safety by ignoring the work at height guidance that is readily available on the HSE website (www.hse.gov.uk ).”

Acting Deputy Chief Executive to leave HSE in March 2014

35 years! Good luck in New Zealand Gordon.Gordon MacDonald, the Acting Deputy Chief Executive of the Health and Safety Executive, is to leave in March 2014 to join the newly formed health and safety regulator Worksafe New Zealand as Chief Executive Officer.Gordon MacDonald said: “In my 35 years in HSE I have met so many great people and had such different, challenging and exciting jobs that it will be a real wrench to leave. But the opportunity arose to use my skills and experience to lead the new health and safety regulator in New Zealand. New Zealand has a poor health and safety record which it is very serious about wanting to improve, and the chance to play a key role in helping them achieve this was too good to pass up.”Kevin Myers, HSE’s Acting Chief Executive, said: “I would like to thank Gordon for his 35 years of service with HSE, improving health and safety risk management in the workplace. He has worked in a wide range of roles and functions over the course of his career to date and this will serve him well in his new role. I wish him all the very best for the future. Arrangements for replacing Gordon will be announced in due course.”

Leave a Comment