Slide 1

Working at Height Safety News Update

December 06, 2013 0
Poole Worker Seriously Injured in Warehouse Roof Fall Six meter fall, with no edge protection, safety netting or any other measure in place at the site to stop Mr White falling, could have been fatal...Two men have been fined after a worker suffered serious injuries when he fell through a fragile warehouse roof in Poole.Bradley White suffered four broken bones in the bottom of his back, a broken hip and pelvis, a shattered femur, four fractures to his left arm, a fractured right wrist and ligament damage. He was in hospital for three weeks and has had to undergo numerous operations.The 27-year-old had been employed by Michael Davies to replace the roof on a large industrial unit at W & S Recycling on Nuffield Industrial Estate in Poole, which is owned and occupied by Geoff Thompson.Mr Davi...
Read More

Working at Height Safety News Update

November 25, 2013 0
Roofing firm fined for ladder fall deathSuch a tragic loss of life, we have posted info on making sure your ladders are safe and the HSE has lot's of guidance, please don't try and get away with using an exttension ladder if you really need some scaffold or a tower, it's never going to be worth it... A roofing company has been fined for safety failings after a worker fell to his death from an unsuitable and badly maintained ladder at a Milton Keynes home. Thomas Rowe, 56, from Crownhill, was undertaking roofline repairs at the two-storey property on 14 January 2012 when he fell almost five metres to the ground below, sustaining a fatal head injury. He was working for Milton Keynes Roofing Ltd, which was prosecuted yesterday (20 November) by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after an in...
Read More

Contractors fined after worker fell from roof

November 18, 2013 0
8 metre fall! No fall protection, poor guy, we hope he's making a full recovery.A construction company and a sub-contractor from Bolton have been fined after inadequate scaffolding led to a worker falling from a roof and suffering a fractured skull and broken back.Simon Brown, 40, of Farnworth, Bolton, also suffered neck injuries and a fractured pelvis, and later had a kidney removed, after he fainted and fell eight metres at a property on Wheatfield Street, Bolton, on 26 February 2012.An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the scaffolding at the rear of the house where he was working failed to protect anyone from a fall.Trafford Magistrates’ Court heard today (8 November) that Eagle Construction (Bolton) Ltd had been hired as the main contractor to carry out bui...
Read More

Working at Height Safety News Update 7

November 08, 2013 0
Firm fined after chimney sweep injured in fallA £20k fine and costs when the injury could have been avoided, could have done the job from the inside, think about it peoples! A Clackmannanshire firm has been fined for safety failings after a chimney sweep fell from the chimney stack of a two storey house in Falkirk. Dylan Skelhorn, 32, from Tillicoultry, was employed by D Henderson Chimney Specialists and Roofers Limited when the incident occurred on 20 June 2011. Mr Skelhorn had been sweeping the chimney from the top of the chimney stack when he fell, sliding down the pitched roof of the property before falling five metres to the neighbouring garden below. He fractured two ribs, suffered a collapsed lung and fractured his pelvis, requiring a five day stay in hospital and ongoing physiother...
Read More

Working at Height Safety News Update 6

October 24, 2013 0
Air conditioning firm fined after apprentice falls through ceiling£16k and an injured worker for the sake of a few safety boards! An air conditioning company has been fined after an apprentice engineer broke his arm when he fell three metres through a fragile plasterboard ceiling. The 20-year-old from Wrexham, who does not wish to be identified, was installing an air conditioning system in the loft space above an office at Llaneurgain House in Northop when the incident happened on 14 March 2012. Select Air Services Limited was prosecuted on Friday (11 October) by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after an investigation found the firm had failed to put adequate safety measures in place. Mold Magistrates' Court heard the company had not provided enough crawling boards, which meant employ...
Read More

Homeowners' Ladder Safety Tips - Gutter Cleaning

October 22, 2013 0
We have noticed a few people around us up on their ladders doing a bit of maintenance around the home in preparation for the Autumn and Winter seasons and one of those jobs is clearing the gutters and getting them ready for the leaves that fall over the colder months.  Once the leaves and other muck is cleaned out of the gutter, a wire mesh cap over the drainage pipes from the guttering can stop leaves and other debris clogging up the drainpipes.  However, to access the gutters you will need to use a ladder safely! If you are not comfortable or experienced with using ladders, consider asking someone else to do the work at height for you.  The promise of tea and cake as a reward can go a long way in convincing someone!  If there is no one available to use the ladders for you, ensure tha...
Read More

Blackburn builders merchant fined over roof fall injury

October 14, 2013 0
If you contract someone to work at height, it's your responsibility to ensure they do so safely, else be prepared to be responsible for their injuries, and the costs and fines that go with it!A builders' merchant has been sentenced after a man fell through the roof of its Blackburn warehouse.The 44-year-old worker from Mellor, who has asked not to be named, was contracted by R&J (Builders Hardware) Ltd to carry out repairs to the roof, but the company failed to make sure that he was competent to carry out the work safely.The firm was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after the worker fell through a roof light at their premises on the Whitebirk Industrial Estate, Croft Head Road, on 28 September 2010.Preston Crown Court was told that he fell approximately six metres to the...
Read More

Joiner's fall lands Bradford firm in court

October 07, 2013 0
A nasty fall from height resulting in a nasty injury for the joiner which cost the primary contractor £20000, all for the sake of a few boards...A Bradford construction firm has been fined for neglecting safety after a joiner fell six metres through a fragile rooflight at a factory in Leeds.The 46 year-old self-employed joiner from Bradford, who doesn't wish to be named, was hired by MD Construction (Bradford) Ltd to remove ventilation turrets from a warehouse roof at Johnsons Apparelmaster in Leeds.He was sitting astride the roof ridge and reaching for slates to cover an opening left by one of the turrets when his knee went through a nearby rooflight. The worker fell six metres to the factory floor below, but managed to escape with a broken elbow and bruising.The incident, on 22 November...
Read More

Working at Height Safety News Update 4

September 23, 2013 0
Firm fined after worker falls eleven feet through roofA Walsall maintenance firm has been fined after an employee was seriously injured when he fell 11 feet through a fragile roof during poorly-managed roof work in Nottingham. Stephen Bassford, 58, from Nottingham, fractured his pelvis, wrenched his shoulder and sustained severe gashes to his face and left elbow in the incident on 4 July 2012. He required extensive physiotherapy and stitches and was unable to work for four months. Data Contracts Specialist Maintenance Ltd were prosecuted last week by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after an investigation into the fall identified safety failings. Nottingham Magistrates' Court heard that Mr Bassford was working alone for the company at the former Shepherd Special School, on Harvey Road...
Read More

Working at Height Safety News Update 3

September 18, 2013 0
 Hampshire firm in court after worker's fallA south-west Hampshire firm has been fined after an employee fractured his forearm in a two metre fall from an unguarded office roof that had been used to store boxes. Cannon Technologies Ltd, of New Milton, had been using the internal area over the office as an improvised storage area and it was commonplace for staff to use a set of steps to climb up to get flat packed boxes. West Hampshire Magistrates heard today (17 Sept) that on 9 July 2012, a 27 year-old worker, who has asked not to be named, fell from the roof when his foot got tangled in a coil of wires. As well as injuring his forearm, which will still not fully straighten, he also broke a toe. The incident was investigated by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which prosecuted Cannon...
Read More